- Bus Riding Basics
Bus Riding Basics
- Go online at OR call RTD at 303-299-6000 for bus times, connections and bus stop locations OR plan your trip using a printed bus schedule.
- Arrive at your bus stop a few minutes early and stand close to the bus stop sign. Face the direction the bus will be coming from.
- Have the exact fare, coupon ticket, or your monthly pass in your hand when the bus arrives. If you also have a Special Discount Card (SDC) or proof of 65+ (ID), be ready to present it to the driver.
- Let people get off the bus before you start to get on.
- Show your SDC/ID card and monthly pass to the driver or put the exact change/coupon ticket in the fare box. Drivers do not make change.
- If you need a transfer ticket, ask for one when you pay the fare. If you are using a monthly pass you do not need to ask for a transfer for local trips.
- If you are not sure where you will need to get off the bus, tell the driver where you are going and ask him/her to tell you when the bus gets there.
- Sit in a seat close to the front of the bus. Sit down as soon as you can and stay seated until the bus arrives at your stop. If you use a mobility device, make sure you let the driver know how you would like to be secured.
- If you asked the driver to tell you when the bus gets to your stop, remind him/her about it once. Get to know the drivers, but keep conversations with them brief. They need to pay full attention to traffic.
- Ring the bell cord, button or pressure strip one to two blocks before the stop at which you want to get off.
- Be ready to get off the bus with your packages, purse, etc. in your hands.
- Stay in your seat until the bus comes to a complete stop at your destination.
- Get off the bus at your stop.
- Stay back from the bus as it pulls away from the curb. Do not cross the street in front of the bus.